After weeks of rumors and a fierce bidding war, ABC confirmed on Tuesday morning it was rebooting the popular singing competition series — besting NBC and Fox for the show, which aired for 15 seasons on Fox from 2002 to 2016.
The news came on the network’s morning show Good Morning America. Co-anchor Amy Robach said a host, judges and premiere date for the show would be announced at a later date.
Idol fans no doubt hope Ryan Seacrest will return as host. He himself revealed on Monday’s Live with Kelly & Ryan that he and the network hadn’t “gotten that far” yet.
“I had said at the end of the series, ‘Goodbye for now,’ hoping somewhere it would come back,” he explained.
“I had no idea it was being talked about to come here until late last week I heard a rumor in the news and made a phone call, and they said, ‘Yeah, it may actually end up here.’ And I said, ‘Well, that’s kind of good to know since I work here,’ ” he continued. “So what I do know is, apparently it’s unofficial but very close to being said it will be here. I don’t know if I can host it…”