The last time Winnipeg had a professional soccer team was from 1987-1992 in the former Canadian Soccer League but it looks like your call has been answered for a return to our city.
The Canadian Premier League has announced that a team will be calling Winnipeg home starting in April 2019. The team will be based at Investors Group Field.
The Winnipeg Football Club will announce details today at 2:30pm such as, the team’s logo, colours and info on ticket prices. The public is welcomed to attend, doors open at 2pm.
— CanPL (@CPLsoccer) June 4, 2018
SOURCE: @CPLsoccer Twitter
The league has confirmed 7 teams for next year:
- Cavalry FC (Calgary, Alberta)
- FC Edmonton (Edmonton, Alberta)
- Hamilton (Ontario)
- HFX Wanderers FC (Halifax, Nova Scotia)
- Port City (Greater Victoria, British Columbia)
- Winnipeg (Manitoba)
- York 9 FC (York Region, Ontario)