The Christmas season is coming up but not everyone is able to celebrate with presents. That’s where The Shoebox Project for Shelters comes in.
Energy 106 is once again proud to be a supporter and drop off location for The Shoebox Project in Manitoba! The goal of this project is to collect and distribute gifts in the form of Shoeboxes to women who are homeless or at-risk of homelessness in communities across the country. Each Shoebox is filled with items valued at $50 that any woman will likely enjoy, but may not splurge on for herself in difficult times.
In 2016, our Manitoba Chapter collected 1,625 Shoebox gifts and distributed them to 41 organizations in 13 communities and are preparing for another busy year of giving again!
November 13 – December 9
HOW TO CREATE A SHOEBOX GIFT:
• Do wrap or decorate your box so that it can be opened (lid and bottom separately), as it must be opened and inspected before it can be distributed. Thank you for your understanding!
• As an option, buy a pre-decorated box (about $2.50 at some dollar stores) and simply use a ribbon to decorate it!
• Do include only new and unused items
• Do use a regular-size shoebox (so that all women will receive similar gifts)
• Do include a supportive message
• Do include nut-free chocolate and candy (not alcohol filled)
• Do include items that total about $50 value (so that all women will receive similar gifts)
• Don’t include mouthwash, or other alcohol-based products (eg. Bailey’s alcohol filled chocolates)
• Don’t wrap your box so that it can’t be opened, or wrap items inside the box, as it must be opened and inspected before it can be distributed. Thank you for your understanding!
• Don’t include used items
• Don’t use an oversize box (so that all women will receive similar gifts)
• Don’t include items totaling a value of much more or less than $50 (so that all women will receive similar gifts)
Much Appreciated Items:
• Body or hand lotion
• Make-up such as mascara, lipstick and nail polish.
• Toiletries such as toothpaste, toothbrush, floss, deodorant
• Bath products such as bodywash, shower gel, bubble bath, shampoo and rinse
• Nut-free chocolates, cookies, candies
• Mitts, hat, scarf
• Brush, comb
• Bus tickets
• Notebook and pens
• Gift certificates to stores such as McDonald’s, Safeway, Shoppers Drug Mart, Sobeys, Tim Horton’s, Wal-Mart. (Please include the receipt or indicate the value of the card – no greater than $15 please.)
• Inspirational card or quote
• Hand Sanitizers, Mouthwash, or other alcohol-based products (eg. Bailey’s alcohol filled chocolates)
Remember: “a small gesture can make a BIG difference!”